Most volunteers feel personally rewarded through offering their time, energy and compassion when they see how much they are able to help patients and families. Further benefits frequently experienced by our volunteers include:
- Greater self-knowledge from insights gained from relationships with patients, their families and from the hospice volunteer training.
- Spiritual growth from supporting a person through the final days while increasing the awareness of their own sense of spiritual values.
How Volunteers Help
Hospice volunteers typically help by:
1) Forming close bonds with patients and family members
- By listening to patients and acknowledging their feelings in an unbiased way as they share their life story.
- By supporting family members as they seek ways to comfort their loved ones.
2) Improving communication within families
- By encouraging healthy interactions to open the way for people to talk honestly.